Connect with us

Nigeria

Man, Wife, Daughter, Maid Die After Eating Poisoned Food In Enugu

Published

on

Tragedy struck in Ugbo Paul, a suburb of Abakpa Nike, in the Enugu East council area of Enugu State, following the death of three family members and their maid after eating a meal suspected to have been poisoned.

It was gathered that only a nine-month-old baby girl of the family survived the tragedy, as she was not fed with the food.

The victims were identified as the head of the family, Mr Lawrence Chukwu; his wife, Chizoba; their daughter, Nazareth; and the maid, Ukamaka.

A neighbour, Mrs Dominic Gloria, revealed that the family went to bed on Friday without any incident.

“We woke up on Saturday morning and found the family members struggling for life. We didn’t know what was wrong with them and they were immediately rushed to the 82 Division Army Hospital. Later that day, their maid died.

“After a series of tests, we learnt that the food they ate before they went to sleep on Friday night was contaminated with a poisonous substance. Unfortunately, all efforts to save them failed, as the man and his wife died on Saturday, and on Tuesday morning, their two-year-old daughter equally died,” Gloria added.

The mother of late Chizoba, Mrs Elizabeth Nwankwo, confirmed the incident on Tuesday.

She said she received a phone call on Saturday after the maid died.

“So, when I got there, I saw my daughter and her husband lying speechless. I took the remains of the house help to her parents for burial and before I came back, my daughter and her husband had equally died. This morning (Tuesday), their two-year-old daughter that I was hoping would survive died,” she added.

While lamenting the tragedy, Mrs Nwankwo said the remains of her grandchild had been taken to her home town in Ameta Mgbo, in the Awgu LGA of Enugu State for burial, while the bodies of the couple were in a morgue.

She said the hospital informed her that the food the family ate before going to bed was contaminated with a poisonous substance.

Nwankwo appealed to Nigerians to come to her aid to take care of the family’s only surviving child.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Daniel Ndukwe, said he had no such information.

“But let me find out; I will get back to you,” he added.

He had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Nigeria

National Economic Council (NEC) Will Take Position On Fuel Subsidy In June

Published

on

The National Economic Council (NEC) has dismissed insinuations that it have taken a position on fuel subsidy, saying a decision will be taken in June.

Nasarawa State governor, Abdullahi Sule, disclosed this to State House correspondents on Thursday after a meeting of NEC presided over by vice president Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He also clarified that the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) 2021 has already taken care of some of the contending issues.

He said, “I think in addition to that, what you have to understand, we didn’t make any presentation on this (fuel subsidy) because there has not been a decision.

“But in reality, all of us Nigerians know that there is now the Petroleum Industry Act. And NNPC has now become, you know, a limited liability company. So NNPC will run differently.

“So if the Minister of Finance, you know, provides for six months, you probably can understand part of the reason for the provision of six months before NNPC fully takes off, and at that moment, that’s when decisions will be made.

“But I want to make the correction that it is not governors who are making recommendations. It is actually a NEC committee, you know, which comprises all the other people that are looking at this and no decision has been made, and probably by the time, a decision will be made.

Culled from the Leadership News Nigeria

Continue Reading

Nigeria

Sit-At-Home: 3days Complete Compliance, APC Youth Leader Shot Dead In Enugu

Published

on

Residents in Enugu have heaved a sigh of relief as the earlier warned 4 days sit-at-home order was shortened to three days given the Federal High Court adjournment of court proceedings on Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, to Wednesday 16th February 2022.

Like cats crawling out of holes, many were still afraid of stepping out of their homes out of fear at the early hours of Thursday. But by mid-day, more vehicles were seen on the roads and shops gathered courage to open up for business; nobody wants to be a scapegoat.

For three consecutive days, Monday 17th–Wednesday 19th January, 2022, all forms of economic activities were shut down completely in Enugu and the other South-Eastern states.

Schools, petrol stations, banks, markets, street shops, and even motor parks; no economic activity whatsoever transpired in the East in solidarity for Mazi Nnamdi Kanu who is facing terrorism charges sued against him by the Federal Government of Nigeria.

Compliance with the sit-at-home order is not disassociated to fear for one’s life as many have been killed and properties destroyed for flaunting the order.

Sadly, on Tuesday evening, gunmen invaded the Enugu South local government office of the All Progressive Congress party, APC, during their meeting and shot dead the APC State Youth Leader, Mr. Kelvin Ezeoha, and one other member.

A Chieftain of the party in the state said, “Some gunmen invaded the Enugu South LGA APC meeting and opened fire on the party members,”

“They killed the immediate past Enugu South LG Chairman of the party, now the incumbent state youth leader, Mr. Kelvin Ezeoha, and one other person, while other party members were kidnapped.”

It is not clear if the attack has political undertone or hoodlums unleashing terror on innocent citizens.

Continue Reading

Legal News

High Court Orders Nigerian Government To Pay Kanu N1b

Published

on

Abia State High Court presided over by Justice Benson Anya has ordered the Nigerian government to pay the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, the sum of N1 Billion over infringement of his fundamental rights.

According to the court the damages to be paid to Kanu were for the invasion of his house.

The judge stated that the defence counsel did little or nothing to defend the evidence as provided by the plaintiff.

It also ruled that the Umuahia High Court has jurisdiction to rule on extradition cases as one of the applications was solely on the status.

Kanu’s lawyer Aloy Ejimakor, in the suit filed on August 27, 2021, sought an order of injunction restraining the Federal Government from taking any further step in prosecuting Kanu in the charge numbered FHC/ABJ/CR/383/2015.

Kanu also demanded an apology for the alleged infringement of his fundamental rights, to be published in three national dailies.

The suit also is seeking an order compelling the government to forthwith release Kanu from detention, restore the liberty he enjoyed before his alleged abduction on June 19, 2021, and repatriate him to Britain, where he is a citizen.

Part of the prayers is “A declaration that the military invasion of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu’s home in Abia State in September 2017 by the Nigerian government is illegal, unlawful, unconstitutional and amounts to infringement of his fundamental rights to life, the dignity of his person, his personal liberty and fair hearing as guaranteed under the Nigerian Constitution and the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights.

“A declaration that the arrest of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu in Kenya by agents of the Nigerian government without due process of law is arbitrary, illegal, unlawful, unconstitutional and amounts to infringement of his fundamental rights against arbitrary arrest, to his personal liberty and to fair hearing as guaranteed under the Nigerian Constitution and the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights.

“A declaration that the torture and detention of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu in Kenya by agents of the Nigerian government is illegal, unlawful, unconstitutional and amounts to infringement of his fundamental rights against torture and a fair hearing, as guaranteed under the Nigerian Constitution and the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights.

“A declaration that the expulsion of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu from Kenya to Nigeria by the Nigerian government and his consequent detention and planned prosecution in Charge No: FHC/ABJ/CR/383/2015 (the Federal Republic of Nigeria v. Nnamdi Kanu) is illegal, unlawful, unconstitutional and amount to infringement of his fundamental rights against unlawful expulsion and detention, and to a fair hearing, as guaranteed under the Nigerian Constitution and the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights”.

Continue Reading

Trending